W3Counter Web Stats

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let’s Talk about the Short List for Reading Across RI 2010


Have you read any of the titles on our Reading Across RI Short List for 2010? Help the Nominating Committee make the difficult decision with your input on the list of titles they are considering for 2010. Join us in discussing the seven books on the RARI Short List for 2010 by posting your comments about these books (each title has its own post):
  • Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
  • The Lost City of Z by David Grann
  • Mudbound by Hillary Jordan
  • The Heretic’s Daughter by Kathleen Kent
  • Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett

3 comments:

debbie b said...

The only one I've read is the Guernsey Potato Peel book and that was absolutely enchanting! I think it would be an excellent choice. The title is intriguing and will catch readers' attention. You might think the story might be kind of "cute" because of the "twee" title, but it is not; it is very thought provoking. There's a bit of romance, a bit of suspense, a bit of humor, and more than a bit of courage and difficult choices involved. I would give this a 4 out of 4 rating, have written about it on my library director's blog,
http://directorsnotebook.tumblr.com/
and have recommended it to everyone I can think of!
Debbie Barchi, Barrington Library

KT said...

I'm really enjoying Unaccustomed Earth. I find myself relating to the stories on many levels and think others - from all stages and places in life - would as well. Short stories are appealing to me - not sure if all would agree. It would be so great to have a RI author.

Anonymous said...

The Help would be an excellent choice. I have just read Mudbound and think it is an inappropriate choice for many readers. The Help deals with the same theme in a better way.
I am now reading The Lost City of Z.
Although an interesting non-fiction book, I think it would turn many readers off. Too long, too dry.
I am now waiting to read the Chris Bohjalian book Skeletons at the Feast. His book Before You Know Kindness is wonderful. I would not want to vote until I have read his book. I would rule out The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because so many book discussion groups have already read it last year. We need something new and fresh.